On January 1, 2016 Floyd Valley Healthcare revealed their new name and logo as they look to provide quality healthcare for the next 50 years. To arrive at this exciting decision, discussions included community focus groups and a review of current statistics supporting the belief that the bulk of work done at Floyd Valley Hospital makes it so much more than a hospital. While services such as inpatients stays, obstetric services and surgery are still very important pieces to the work Floyd Valley provides; it was important to be inclusive of all the many expanded opportunities offered such as family medicine clinics, visiting specialty clinics, therapies, home health, assisted living and durable medical equipment. Looking back through the history, it is certainly easy to see why Floyd Valley Healthcare is considered a progressive healthcare leader in northwest Iowa.
Floyd Valley Healthcare is a piece of the healthcare history provided in Le Mars. The Sisters of St. Francis of Dubuque began construction of Sacred Heart Hospital in 1921. The $350,000 project (including the equipment) was completed and the five-story hospital opened in 1923. The building also housed the Sacred Heart Nursing School from 1923 – 1938.
After 43 years of dedicated service, the Sisters of Francis turned Sacred Heart Hospital over to the City of Le Mars. On December 1, 1966, the hospital was renamed Floyd Valley Hospital. Services continued in the original building. In 1972, the community embarked on a capital campaign to build a new hospital.
In 1976, the hospital was moved to its current location along Highway 3 and was constructed through $1.5 million in pledges from the residents of the Floyd Valley service area, $.5 million in general obligation bonds from the City of Le Mars, and $200,000 from the federal government. Since its original structure, the hospital has self-funded a $4 million expansion in 1994 and another $4 million expansion in 2004. The current expansion project has been funded with local and federal funds in addition to the second capital campaign in hospital history.
In 1991, the public health program merged with the hospital to form Floyd Valley Community Health. This department still serves Plymouth County’s needs for public health services, but also offers community health, home health, homemakers services and the Healthy Families program. Homecare services help those wishing to stay in their home to receive personal care and rehabilitation therapy.
In 1998, Park Place Estates, a beautiful, two-story, 30-unit assisted living facility opened on the Floyd Valley Healthcare campus. PPE was the first assisted living built in Plymouth County, has been deficiency-free since opening and has been recognized nationally for its staff and activity program. Residents receive assistance with activities of daily living in a home-like environment with many amenities. Park Place Estates has been home to 251 residents.
In 2003, Floyd Valley Hospital partnered with Avera Home Medical Equipment, LLC, of South Dakota to provide local storefront to provide durable medical supplies in Le Mars. Avera Home Medical Equipment of Floyd Valley opened the first storefront in the lower level of the hospital before moving to the clinic building and then their current expanded location on Highway 75 in the Fifth Avenue Plaza.
In 2009, the hospital completed an asset purchase agreement and acquired Medical Associates, P.C., a family medicine practice based in Le Mars and Remsen. Now named Floyd Valley Clinics, 12 family medicine providers see patients seeking services from prenatal to end-of-life care in clinics located in Le Mars, Marcus and Remsen. Floyd Valley Clinics is a nationally-recognized Patient-Centered Medical Home. The physicians and staff take great pride in providing individualized quality care for each patient, whether they are seeking acute, chronic or obstetric care or pain services.
In 2014, Floyd Valley started the largest of their three additions. The North Addition Project, with a projected price tag of $27.4 million, was designed to streamline and enhance services for patients. This project will add just over 23,000 square foot lower level addition to the north of the existing building. The lower level (West Entrance) houses the Business Office, Gift Shop and Floyd Valley Clinics; including the family medicine providers, general surgeons and Dr. Strittholt (orthopedic surgeon) along with providing outpatient lab appointments. The nearly 18,000 square foot upper level houses the Surgery Center and the Administrative Offices. In additional phases of the North Addition Project, remodeling of vacated spaces will begin with a relocation of several departments to enhance current patient services. The most involved of the remodeling project expanded the Radiology Department. Thanks to the support of a $2.6 million capital campaign, the MRI machine has been relocated inside the building. Patients will continue to access Radiology services by entering the East Entrance. This entrance will still be used for Floyd Valley Therapies (including Speech Therapy), appointments with the visiting specialists and those needing the Emergency Department.
Floyd Valley Healthcare has had a rich history of serving the healthcare needs of people in Le Mars, Iowa and the surrounding communities. Floyd Valley Healthcare is licensed by the State of Iowa, affiliated with the Avera System of Sioux Falls, South Dakota and is a member of the Iowa and American Hospital Associations.
High School Seniors:
APPLY FOR THE
Deadline: April 2, 2019
© 2019 Floyd Valley Healthcare